Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 

What? Do Muslims belong to Australia?

Just when everyone is going on about the failure of so-called Islamic communities (which are in fact as disparate as, say, the Catholic or the Lord of the Rings Fan Club communities), here's a little piece about Muslim enthusiasm for a great Australian pastime.

Where have all those people who claim that Muslim migrants know nothing about Australian life gone? And why is this dressed up merely as a "human interest" article as if the the Sheik is some kind of a freak show?

Comments:
This reminds me of the time I was watching the cricket with my friend's younger brother. The family are Muslims of Indian descent. The brother is cricket mad.

"Which team do you go for?" I asked. Despite living a large part of my teenage years in England, I continue to go for Australia, so I was curious. The brother looked at me in absolute outrage. I felt a bit guilty for asking.
"The Australians!" he said emphatically. "Wouldn't want to go for those bl**dy Pakkies!"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?